Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Part Nine - Conversations With Whom??

Today I thought that I would consider great authors I might have enjoyed conversation with, and I came up with Mary Shelley and Oscar Wilde. Not, in primary terms, for general conversation, but specifically for two works I had in mind; namely, Shelley's "Frankenstein" and Wilde's "Picture of Dorian Gray".
I would have wanted to ask both of these great writers the same kind of question; namely, issues of some depth having come out of these two works.
In Shelley's novel; was the book, in reality, a question about how many, and/or what kinds of "monsters" can Man conceive and actuate? War, we know, has long been Man's ongoing creation. Are there other incarnations yet to be created? Will Man redeem himself, or destroy himself with one of these "monsters?"
These are the kinds of questions I would have asked Shelley about this work. With her Promethean allusions, what kinds of answers would she have projected to me?
By the way, when I think of Shelley, I also have Chopin and Rachmaninoff in mind, in that Shelley began this famous work at age eighteen and, I think, finished it in about a year - Chopin started his magnificent First Concerto at age seventeen, as did Rachmaninoff in his prescient First Concerto.
In the Wilde book, I keep asking myself about a deep wish - did Wilde hold within his core a wish that might have wanted to be what he created in his character Dorian Gray; that is, one who would forever remain young even if it required a Faustian agreement to do so? Wild's derisive attitude toward life takes shape in Dorian Gray's battles with his monsters even though he had seemingly found a road to immortality.
By the way, is not "Dorian Gray" the only full-blown novel of Wilde? Do correct me if I am in error.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home