Friday, December 30, 2011

Liszt: His Words and His Music - Total Fusion!

I finally got around to read Liszt's book centering on his friend and fellow composer Chopin.
As regards the nature of the commentary, there was nothing unexpected, as it is well - known that Liszt had a deep and genuine admiration of Chopin's language.
Liszt projects a constancy in the redolence of his love for the gift that Chopin possessed, and in a relatively non-technical perusal of a number of the Polish composer's works, Liszt leaves for us a clarity and luminescence of description that attest to what the world has known for the better part of two centuries; that is, the immediacy of great beauty that emanates from Chopin's indescribable view of the keyboard. Do keep in mind that Chopin is the only great composer who centered all of his works around the piano.
What surprised, even astounded me was a reaction that appeared not long after my getting into Liszt's words describing Chopin:
The verbal sequence, in terms of linear choice, was at first a potpourri of the flowery and the ornamental in terms of description, almost as if it was a form of a kind of genuflection on the part of Liszt. What staggered me was the ensuing reaction; namely, that these words and the style of Liszt's wondrous colors in his own music seemed to be one and the same. As I continued my reading, various sections of the music of Liszt came wafting into my inner ear - it was as if the words and the music of Liszt were one and the same!
Nothing like this has ever occurred in my experience, and was totally unexpected, I can assure you. How and why did this happen? Am I the ONLY one experiencing this kind of fusion in this form? I would invite any of you who may have undergone this situation to let me know in "comments."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home