Thursday, May 5, 2011

Pasquale Tassone - An Impression of His Music...

A few months ago, I heard for the first time a composition for the violin and piano, written by a contemporary composer.
That initial experience, on my part, is still in my memory, as I have rarely been struck in a first hearing as I was struck that evening. It entered my consciousness immediately as an example of some of the most adroitly sculpted ideas written for these instruments that is within my memory bank.
The sense of elemental import given to the melodic line, enhanced by wonderfully tasteful displays of the shifting of tonal centers, let alone the power of the element we in music call the Motif, combine to form, in my view, some of the most evocative and attractive music written in our day for these instruments.
I have since, that first evening, made a point of listening several times to this composition, and I find that(and this can apply only to art at a high level) I am discovering more facets of creative brilliance each and every time, with the commensurate furthering of the understanding of the musical text.
What is most curious to me is that it reminds me of the same kind of flow we hear in the violin and piano music written by Schumann and Brahms; for me, more like Schumann. Not that there is any stylistic similarity to these composers, of course - it is, simplistically speaking, the nature of the "flow" that is so striking to me, which is an encomium to the writing skills of Tassone.
He most assuredly knows how to write for these instruments, which is not necessarily the case endemic to some contemporary composers I have heard.
I cannot commend this work highly enough.
The music is titled "Trittico."
For those of you who may have interest in hearing this work, the CD that contains this composition is titled "Postcards from Arlington," and can be found by way of
www.amethyst-records.com

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home