Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Part Three - Conversations I Would Love to Have With Living Greats... Seiji Ozawa

As I return to my adding to the list of contemporaries I would enjoy conversing with, my thoughts go to Seiji Ozawa.
As one who has gone many times to Tanglewood, I always enjoy visiting Ozawa Hall, an exquisite recital hall, built not too many years ago, which bears the name of a musician I have seen there and in Boston as well many times.
Ozawa holds the record for longevity, as regards his being Music Director of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. He actually exceeds by four years the legendary Serge Koussevitsky as regards the post of Music Director, a feat that may not soon be equaled or bettered.
One of the more important reasons for my interest in simply listening to the way his mind works is his love for both music and baseball(!).
As I have written before, baseball was a love I held, and continue to hold, which is almost as strong as my primary love; of course, Music. In my young years, I was actively involved in the sport, as a pitcher, much to the horror of any teacher of music I may have had during that period. I continue to follow the daily goings -on of the sport each and every summer.
I would love to hear Ozawa's musings concerning the sport, let alone his thought processes, both philosophical and technical, concerning his particular paths of connection with music.
I have more than once seen photos of Ozawa with a baseball hat on, and have heard of his many visits to Fenway Park, the home of the Boston Red Sox. There has been for me, from the beginning, an ongoing fascination of the connection between sports and music, primarily the issue of athleticism as it pertains to both pursuits. More than once I have called sports programs on the radio to discuss that strangely interesting connection, and I have found intrinsic interest on the part of the radio hosts, in this subject. I think occasionally of David Robinson, recently retired from professional basketball, when I took notice of his playing of "Fur Elise" of Beethoven, on the radio, a few years ago, and at the present time there are CD's of professional sports figures doing musical numbers, some really quite well; most notably Bernie Williams, recently of the New York Yankees, playing guitar on TV.
And so, it would be truly beguiling for me to hear the make-up of a world-famous musician , such as Ozawa, as he unravels his thoughts in my presence - I'm confident that it would be an experience for me not easily forgotten.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home