Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Young Composer Who Got Away With It - Namely, Me

During my elementary and high school days in Rochester, I attended the prestigious Eastman School of Music as a piano student, before making the defining decision to make music my profession.
Those of us who played well were qualified to play in the Honors recitals, which took place periodically in, as I recall, the beautiful Kilbourn Hall.
I performed in virtually all of these recitals, as I was considered pretty good at playing the instrument.
Of course, one would have to pass a rather stringent list of prerequisites in order to perform in the Honor recitals. Obviously, the committee who decided knew the repertoire, and expected certain vital aspects of that repertoire to be attained in order for the performer to be in those recitals.
One day, the diabolical reality appeared, that if I played pieces which I composed, the members of the committee would not have any precedent to go by, as these pieces would not have been heard prior to the recital, as I would write a composition specifically for each recital. My teacher liked my compositions, and so I had no problem entering them.
There were, to be sure, certain pieces from the repertoire that required performance, which I did, of course; however, any and every piece that I wrote, then performed in Kilbourn, passed the tests with flying colors, and I became a kind of mini-celebrity, being the only kid in the Honors recitals that wrote original music.
Diabolical, perhaps; but, it worked every time.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home