Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Reminiscence - The Harmonica (Really!)

During the first year or so of teaching, I was called by one of the FM stations, and invited to discuss and perform a project I had just completed.
One of my students was a phenomenal harmonica player, and was on the constant search for material that was in the so-called "classical" realm.
Be assured that classical music for the harmonica is not in the upper level of popularity. Most pieces are arrangements for the instrument, and many of these arrangements are not worth the paper they appear on.
Because of the particular ranges of some of the Bach flute sonatas, I decided to look for the most suitable piece that might fit the harmonica, and chose the "E" flat sonata (BWV 1031), which even today is considered attributed to Bach.
I was amazed as to how smoothly this sonata fit the harmonica. My primary issue was that of phrasing, as the harmonica, unlike the flute, produces sounds by both exhalation and inhalation.
There WERE some moments of difficulty; however, Peter played the piece , accompanied by me, and it went well. Jules Wolffers, the producer of these live performances, and chairman of a local University music department, was the gentleman responsible for this particular event, which was for me not only enjoyable, but the only time I have ever wrestled with the harmonica.
Life, at times, DOES take unusual twists.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home