Saturday, July 12, 2008

An Artist of Greater Power Than Picasso; or, Da Vinci? - Read on...

During my teaching career, I taught at all levels; that is, from elementary and high school through college. During one period, I taught all three every week.
During a break at the high school, I motored down to one of the elementary schools I was servicing, and invited the principal to consider an issue I had been thinking about; namely, to give an exam to all of the children, from kindergarten through sixth grade. She at first consented without hesitation, but balked when I divulged to her that the exam would consist of the same questions at all seven levels. She was incredulous and said that such a test would not be possible.
I asked "do you trust me?" (with a smile, of course). Having known of the kinds of programs I had developed within the school system, she consented to my presenting her with the specifics.
She had doubts as to the final results, but I received clearance, and made plans to give the test.
The exam offered some truly interesting information, forming the question I had based the project on, and the question was presented to the principal before the exam was given; specifically: "Who is the Most Powerful Artist Known to Us?"
The exam consisted of twenty questions; each question a brief piece of music.
The kindergarteners did essentially as well as the sixth graders, with grades one through five equal partners in success as well.
The music was taken from productions of Walt Disney.
So! Perhaps a question should be offered, something like "how many five-year-olds know who Picasso is," or, " how many third graders are familiar with the name Da Vinci?", or, how many of you sixth graders know who Caravaggio is?"
They all knew Disney.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home