Monday, September 3, 2018

Three Electric Performances - the Three H's...

Remember "the Three B's?,"  namely,  Bach,  Beethoven and Brahms?
Well, how about the Three H's,"   namely, Holt, Horowitz and Hanfstaengl?
Allow me at this time to explain my use of the word   'electric'  in the context of this blog:
'Electric'   is not used to describe  any brilliance in the following performances. There is no brilliance in these performances.   Rather, it is employed to underline the  historic placement and reason for the performance in each of the three events I will now  describe  -

The Boston Red Sox include among their  athletes a utility player of import to the successful year they are now  having in quest of the coveted World Series. His name is Brock Holt, a favorite in the clubhouse. From time to time he takes out his guitar and begins a songfest with team mates before  or after a game. A few days ago, he decided to enter the shower room of the Chicago White Sox, whom they were playing. Without his guitar, he faced a wall, and proceeded, a capella,  to sing the notes of the  popular "Halo Song" - when I first heard this ten or  fifteen second performance, my automatic ability to analyze music I hear informed me that these were the lower notes of either the Dorian or Aeolian Modes (we now call 'Scales') employed by the early Christians over one and a half thousand  years ago.  The solemn notes sung without vibrato enhanced the moment.
Holt paused, then slowly turned his head to face the camera, and smiled  -  all this time he had  his baseball cap placed on  backwards. I think that the composer would have been pleased;  or, at least  it might  have commanded his attention...

Vladimir Horowitz - the Titan of the great clutch of the leading performers of his day, decided in 1986 to visit his native  Russia, for the first time in 60 years. At age 21 he had found a way to escape the Communist  reality, with some money stuffed into his socks.
It was  a sensational affair, creating a firestorm in the music world. Prior to the affair, TV undertook producing a brief   'commercial'  describing the coming Great Moment. It showed Horowitz in performance performing the great Tchaikowsky Concerto. But the music heard - imposed was some of the worst,  most inept, totally impaired playing I have ever heard; all this, paired with the image of Horowitz at the piano in total triumph. Almost immediately after this episode Horowitz appeared walking toward the camera, ending this memorable episode on television, with his tongue emitting  a  distinct  and derisive 'raspberry' directly into the lens.
Obviously, Horowitz was directly implicated in this  historic production.
I have this in my collection. I just happened to have in my hand the controls to my recorder at this moment. I have never been able to find this  example of Horowitz Humor anywhere else - 

Ernst "Putzi" Hanfstaengl - the only man I know of to work for both Adolf Hitler and Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Do look his life story up - it's  available. You can find him  in a blog or two I had done some time ago.
As a student from Germany at Harvard, one of his majors was music. As a matter of fact, while at the college, he wrote some of the Harvard marches. An accomplished pianist, he was known as "Hitler's pianist" - this was during the early days of rising Nazism. Hitler loved listening to this towering (Putzi, which means 'little guy,' was somewhere between  6' 4'' and 6 '6'')  fellow  play Wagner.
I won't go into his personal life at this time. You can read my older blog, or simply look his history up - it's really quite fascinating.
My main point  now is to call your attention to a 2 record Grammophon disk Putzi made in 1934; his doing a couple of movements from his own Suite.
It's not that he was a great pianist - the performance  simply forms the third of my three H's - 'electric' in that it is the third choice I made of three, really weird examples of  "one-of-a-kind" events engendered by that
ubiquitous language we call Music...
Enjoy!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home