Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Music -Soother of the Savage Beast - and the Ruffled Feather??

On this very day, I was witness to a tableau totally unexpected.
I love walking, and walk somewhere between 7 and 10 miles per week, depending upon weather, time available, etc.
I decided to stroll around a lovely pond not far from home, which takes the better part of an hour.
About thirty or so minutes into the walk, I heard music from a distance. As I got closer to the source, I recognized the music as what many of us call "elevator music"; that is, totally aimless, totally harmless pop music, requiring no thought whatsoever, done by some nameless orchestra, the performers sounding as if they were embarking upon a form of sleep-walking while playing - you know the kind of music I am describing.
Well, as I got into range of the music source, I came across a scene I will not soon forget:
An elderly gentleman, in a plaid shirt, sitting on one of those folding cloth chairs, holding onto a fishing pole, with his eyes closed, and a portable radio at his side, the music floating out of it.
Grouped around the radio, almost totally motionless, was a group of ducks, absolutely silent, numbering around 40 or so.
As I walked by, my eyes glued to this scene, the music continued, and the ducks remained in position, almost as if they were statues.
I continued walking, the music growing more and more distant, then fading completely.
I asked myself "should I have remained to see what would happen when the music stopped?"
It had never occurred to me to do this, and I feel remiss in that I had not done so.
Ah, Serendipity.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home